Quarantine life has got us longing for the spa, hair salon and in deep need of a facial! But, if you're not sure when you should come out of hibernation, like me, then bring your facial home! Our vegan face masks can bring out that spa-day glow.
Generally, most facials are made up of the same few steps: Cleanse, Steam, Exfoliate, Massage, Moisturize and ends with a calm, relaxed glow. Read on to learn how you can up your glow game at home with our $20 Mixtape Face Mask Set. Bonus: our facial ends with a little plant-based botox too!
1. Music - GC style facials always have a ~vibe~. Check out our playlists to start your facial right. There's a playlist inspired by each mask - enjoy!
2. Cleanse - Start by washing your face gently with water, a cleansing wipe or a gentle face cleanser. Your vegan clay face mask will do the heavy lifting on cleaning out your pores, don't worry.
2. Steam - Here's how you can steam at home
If you don't have a steamer, a simple way to clean and open your pores for the magic about to ensue is to take a shower. A warm shower & face wash will be enough to prep your skin for treatments to follow.
Got a little time? Steam over a bowl or sink of hot water
- Grab a fluffy towel and spot to steam. Don't forget that you want to be comfortable, so if you are steaming over a sink, make sure to have a stool or chair that's at the right height. Otherwise, have a seat at table and use a bowl for the water.
- Bring 4 to 6 cups of water to a boil in a kettle or pot, depending on the size of the sink or bowl.
- If you want to get a little fancy...add a handful of herbs once the water begins to boil and stir for aromatherapy.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Pour into the sink or bowl - just be careful. Feel free to add a few drops of essential oils at this step if you like.
- Next, sit comfortably, drape your towel over your head and the pot, and hold your face 6 inches above the water. Raise & lower your head to adjust the amount of heat hitting your face. Or, you can also lift a corner back to let a little cool air in.
- Give yourself about 5-10 minutes for a good steam.
3. Exfoliation - Our Pure Grit exfoliating face mask is infused with 3 types of gentle exfoliation and cleansing. Here's how it works:
- Bentonite Clay - This power house clay absorbs toxins and gets all the dirt, oil and junk out of your pores. It's natural cleansing power also treats acne, dark spots and can lighten your skin.
- When it comes to exfoliation, there are two kinds. Chemical & Physical. Chemical is like an acid or face peel but in our case it's a natural fruit enzyme peel. Physical Exfoliation refers to the more traditional scrubs or abrasive ingredients you may use to remove dead skin cells.
- Papaya Enzyme - We use papaya enzyme as a natural fruit enzyme peel because when added at the right levels, it is very effective at dissolving dead skin cells. This ingredient acts as a peel but is all natural and therefore gentler on your skin.
- Finely Ground Walnut Shells - We went through 6 rounds of physcial exfoliants before we landed on super fine walnut shells. During development, I noticed these natural exfoliants left my skin super soft and smooth. And, the beauty of this mask is that the physical exfoliation only takes action when you wash the mask off to avoid over-exfoliating. Our mask rinses off clean, so the shells do their job quickly and gently leaving your face softer than a 90's slow jam.
Skincare Tip: If you want a gentler exfoliation step, use either Street Rose or Clean Slate clay mask. Clay naturally unclogs & deep cleans pores.
If you have combination skin, use Clean Slate Purifying Face Mask to treat those oily spots with Kaolin + Bentonite Clay and activate the skin with natural peppermint oil.
If you have redness, rosacea or dark spots, use Street Rose Smoothing Face Mask to brighten, hydrate, and even the skin tone with Kaolin Clay, Vitamin E, Oat, & Allentoin.
No matter the clay you choose, just paint it on and sit for about 5 minutes for all the gentle exfoliation to work it's magic on your skin. Then, wash or wipe with warm water. Your skin will feel smooth, soft and your pores will be squeaky clean.
4. Massage & Moisturize - The last step to your at home facial - almost there and your face will thank you for it! The moisturize and massage step can be combined with our Hustle & Glow Hydrating Face Mask.
This gel formula is enriched with squalane, jojoba, sodium hylauronate, olive oil (the oil that won't clog your pores), and African Acacia. This unique cocktail is loaded at active levels to bring out your natural glow.
Here's 2 ways to take your hydrating mask to the next level.
1) Use a roller - if you have a jade roller, massage the mask into your skin and let your skin soak in the moisture.
2) No roller? No problem! - take 2 clean spoons and swipe your undereye or any part of your face with the back of the spoon to give you a quick cooling massage as you apply your mask
Don't have time for a 10 minute mask & massage? You can easily massage it into your skin right away as a glowing moisturizer and go about your day.
This is a 10 minute mask but you can leave it on for longer if you like. You'll know it's done because your face will look like a sheet of gold. Bonus, it is enriched with an active level of African Acacia to fill your lines & wrinkles - a little plant-based botox just give you a little spa-day boost at home!
At Home Facial sound amazing but have no time to do it? Have combo skin and just want to take care of it all at once?
Here's a little guide to help you multi-mask and reset your skin in 10 minutes or less.
Street Rose - Kaolin clay is super gentle, reduces redness & breakouts and smooths skin.
Clean Slate - Kaolin + Bentonite clay with peppermint oil is perfect for oily t-zones or areas where you need a little extra oil removal.
Pure Grit - Bentonite, Papaya Enzyme, and Walnut shells can dissolve dead skin and gently exfoliate those problem spots on your skin.
Hustle & Glow - Squalane, Jojoba, Sodium Hyalauonate, Olive Oil & African Acacia can hydrate and bring the glow back in any dull, dry areas.
So, there it is - whether you have 10 minutes or an 45 - give your day a boost with a little facial. Your skin will thank you :)